Skip to main content

5 Ways I Receive The News

WHAT NEWS SOURCES WORK FOR ME
  Knowing about what's happening around the world or more locally should be a priority especially in the 21st century. So many things are changing and being updated that it has become very crucial to know and understand the issues in today's world. As a college student and a journalism major it's very important for me to be informed. With that being said sometimes it's hard to get your news with such a busy schedule that consists of office hours and nap time. Below you will find 5 different news sources that help me in different ways and why they're helpful.





News (APP)
The News app on my iPhone is always sending me notifications from Univision, The Washington Post, CNN, etc. Basically, all the news you need to know is at the tap of your fingertips. I highly recommend this when you don’t have the time to sit down and watch the news or look it up on the Internet. The app has all types of news outlets and different articles. The only downside to this is that if you have it very personalized to you it will only give you certain type of news.



Facebook
If your family and childhood friends are anything like mine, then you'll be receiving news 24/7.  I spend quite a lot of time on Facebook to keep up with my high school friends and family in Honduras. There’s not a day that I go on the app and there isn’t a news article shared by one of my friends. Although, I would highly recommend not just getting your news on social media, it is very easy to come across news locally and nationally. The most consistent articles I scroll across on Facebook are unfortunately about shootings in the High Point area. I also come across government issues quite a lot because most of my Facebook friends share the articles and leave comments on how they feel. Facebook news is more of a way to know about a situation but later on doing more research on the topic. 



Univision News
Univision is a Hispanic-based channel, which offers a variety of segments that involves the daily news. Since my family only speak Spanish, I grew up watching Univision news and still use it today. Now I like getting the news from this channel because it’s centered more on Latinx/Hispanic issues going on around the world but mostly the USA. I would recommend Univision to anybody that speaks Spanish and would like to keep up with the latest government issues within Central America and the United States. The downside to this news source is that they are for the Hispanic community and can be very biased when it comes to laws being passed that may or may not favor the community.



Fox 8/WXII12
When I want to know more about news from  the community or check if our tiny bit of snow made GCS (Guilford County Schools) close, I tune into Fox8/WXII12. The channel does a great job at covering the triad news. From car accidents to the amount of snow there's  in the area. This is a good source to use if you want to keep up with what’s happening in the area or what the weather will be like. They also try to interact more with community members, an example of this could be an opening of a new building in the triad or interviewing students at a local high school. When High Point University freshmen built bikes for 150 kids, WXII12 interviewed me to talk more about how it felt and why it would be beneficial to built these bikes. https://www.wxii12.com/article/new-students-at-high-point-university-surprise-local-boys-and-girls-club-with-150-bikes/28791010



Snapchat
Even though it might not sound like the most reliable place to get news. Snapchat does a great job of showing news when there’s something big going on in the world. For instance, when the 2016 election was in progress, Snapchat had a small news story telling us about who was in the lead, which states choose who, and what the pros and cons were for each candidate. It was updated every few hours. The same was for when the U.S killed the Iranian general. Sometimes I forget to watch the news so it’s good to know Snapchat offers it, especially for the younger snappers who might not think the news is interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I Learned: Freshmen Year

My first year at HPU 1. GPA's in High School and College are completely different I remember coming into college and thinking that if I had a 4.2-3.8 through all of High School why would college be different. Now that I've been at HPU for two semesters, I can say that even maintaining a 2.0 which is what you need to be academically eligible is hard. When I was told that to keep my scholarship, I needed to have a 2.75 cumulative gap, inside my head, the thought that was running through was "who wouldn't be able to have a 2.75 that's a piece of cake." Halfway through first semester is when it hit me that It was harder than I thought. After completing my first semester and being placed on academic probation, I just thought about my scholarship and how I needed to do my best the following semester to keep it. It definitely humbled me and made me realize that GPA's aren't the same.  Another thing that was different with the whole gpa aspect is

#RunwithMaud

AHMAUD ARBERY- Remember his name Background Ahmaud Arbery was going for a jog, like he tended to do normally. He thought it would be a regular day like always, but this jog turned out to be his last. On February 23, 2020, Arbery was chased down and shot by two white men, one of whom was a retired police officer and DA investigator. Gregory and Travis McMichael, father and son killed this innocent jogger because of his skin color. These men have been known to be racist but yet when the investigation was made, they weren't arrested or charged for the killing of Arbery. Instead they walked free for two months, after leaving an innocent man on the street, dead. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vElX_sLt2NM  (Warning graphic) In a video that was leaked, it shows Arbery jogging and trying to get away from a truck, that had the McMichael's inside. The truck continued to follow the jogger and cornered him and when the jogger tried to run the other way he was shot. Stil

The Partisan Press

Have we really changed? To answer this question, we first have to dive in deeper into what the Partisan Press is, in this article we are able to learn more about the partisan press and what it was like back in this era. The Partisan Press helped individuals get things done, what I mean by this is that the articles were written to help get the author's point across, it was biased. It was based on their views and agendas. This is a brilliant idea because you can get people to understand your perspective and see why you view certain things the way you do, but the downside of all of this, one could say is that people weren’t getting accurate information. What they received and were reading were opinions not facts. I feel that this was a bad era for journalism because things weren’t true and honest. Although it was a time where you can express what had to be said about the given topics, it harmed the communities overall because they were stuck with what they were given.    Even